Sunday, May 11, 2008

Why I have fallen in love with Mexico...


I have fallen in love with Mexico without really realizing it. Actually, its more of a love/hate relationship. Some days I am amazed at the depth of the culture, the way I feel here, the song that the language makes, the aroma of the food, etc. Other days, I am struck with overwhelming feelings of frustration. A certain sort of isolation that not only comes with just barely understanding the language, but also the nuances that give it life and reveal the truth of its people. I also feel angered by some of the immense injustice that occurs in Mexico and by the realization that no one has control over the borders with which they are born. Its the hand that you are dealt.
So as I ponder my time in Mexico City, I feel a host of contradictions. I am so very happy that I came here. I feel like I have finally met a neighbor that I never knew, despite our close proximity throughout my life. I feel like I have a somewhat deeper understanding of this country and the people that it holds. I feel like I have a whole heck of a lot more to learn. And I feel grateful to reaffirm my belief that there are wonderful people all over this world that we live in.
As I prepare for my fast approaching departure, I hope that I will return here. I hope that I will continue to learn about Mexico and its people, and about the relationship between our two countries. We are all cut from the same fabric, we just have slightly different perspectives and lived experiences. I want advocate for and promote this truth, because Lord, God, Goddess, Allah, Vishnu, Buddha or whatever one chooses to ascribe to, knows, it may do a lot for world peace. I feel fortunate to live the life that I have and to take advantage of the opportunities before me. Its the people around me who have made this possible, as well as my own desire to know and understand all cultures. I am amazed by the human spirit and the manifestations with which it takes. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hey girl,
Can't wait to read more about your adventures. Love the pics, too!